About Action on Poverty
Action on Poverty works in partnership, locally-led by communities in Sierra Leone, Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya to build livelihoods and transform lives. We work with people living in extreme poverty so that they have the skills and resources to earn a living and achieve equality for all.
We are a small dynamic organisation, made up of a team of 6 in Worcestershire, and we address barriers to safe and lasting work, hunger and injustice. Through accessing the vital skills and resources they need to earn a living and addressing the root causes of their poverty, the people we work with can act as changemakers in their communities and countries.
Action on Poverty and Digital
Action on Poverty has bold ambitions to grow our supporter fundraising so that we can continue having the freedom, flexibility and funding to make sure we can run programmes that our partners tell us communities truly need, regardless of the changing whims of the wider international development funding landscape.
One of the key strategic areas to make this possible will be digital fundraising. The Fundraising and Communications Manager is responsible for growing this area, and we need additional expertise and capacity to make the most of digital opportunities to achieve our aims.
We will be trialling exciting new ways of using communications, including working directly with staff at partner organisations, starting with MAPCO in Sierra Leone and PLA in Uganda, to take pictures, videos, case studies and new styles of content like TikTok videos, Instagram takeovers of UK influencers’ pages and day-in-the-life vlogs.
We have a few key aims that the Digital Advisory Group will support with:
1. Grow our reach and audience
2. Use digital to build meaningful connections with potential supporters
3. Increase opportunities to use digital fundraising and social media to raise income
Purpose of the Digital Advisory Group
The Digital Advisory Group will be tasked with helping Action on Poverty to grow our digital capacity as needed to achieve the above aims. The Digital Advisory Group will:
• Advise and operate as a sounding board on digital strategy, particularly growing and improving social media and digital fundraising channels
• Provide honest and expert feedback on campaigns, appeal messaging, ideas and content development
• Provide hands on support with initiatives, volunteering time as well as specialist skills
• Raise awareness of Action on Poverty’s work and share opportunities, campaigns and posts with personal networks
• Network on behalf of Action on Poverty, making introductions to key contacts that may range from influencers, entrepreneurs, technology talent networks, potential investments and partnerships
Who we are looking for
We are looking for someone who can offer:
• Knowledge in at least a couple of the following areas either as a professional or very experienced user:
o Social media (particularly Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, LinkedIn, Twitter and Twitch)
o Digital marketing
o Online campaigns
o Influencer marketing
o Livestreaming (gaming or otherwise)
o Website design
o Trend forecasting
o Video editing
o Graphic design
o Branding and brand recognition
• Willingness to support and advise on Action on Poverty’s fundraising initiatives
• Enthusiasm for Action on Poverty’s work, international development and supporter fundraising
• Commitment to Action on Poverty’s values and approach, and motivation to help Action on Poverty unlock the potential of digital fundraising
The group will meet via Zoom every 6 weeks, and must be able to dedicate approx. 4 hours per month to the Digital Advisory group and its objectives.
As part of the Digital Advisory Group you will be helping Action on Poverty to expand our audience and generate crucial funding that will ultimately enable us to grow our work with people living in debilitating poverty. The long-term impact of this will be improving lives and livelihoods for people in Sierra Leone, Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya. This is a unique way to have a profound and meaningful impact through a voluntary role.
You will also
• Learn about international development from inside a small NGO
• Network professionally with peers with similar interests and skills
• Connect with stories from people in Sub Saharan Africa who are transforming their lives and achieving incredible feats through our programmes
• Gain valuable leadership and teamwork experience
• Develop skills and knowledge in digital marketing, social media
Please send your CV and a one page supporting letter including why you would like to volunteer with Action on Poverty and what experience and knowledge you will bring to the Digital Advisory Group to Megan Andrews, Fundraising and Communications Manager, at email@example.com.